Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My First Writing Workshop

I attended my first writing workshop on Saturday, January 26, 2013, at the Reading Frenzy Bookshop in Zimmerman. It was phenomenal!

The presenters were Heather Savage, known as writer H.K. Savage, and owner of Staccato Publishing and C.S. Yelle, a published writer with Staccato Publishing.

Both of them gave a great presentation and answered a lot of questions about writing for the Young Adult/New Adult market and how to get published.

The price for the workshop was $10. That's right, ten bucks!

I felt I got ten times the value of the information presented there and it has sparked a fire in me to continue writing and get published this year.

I know in the past I've been fired up about getting my writing published in one way or another and I've actually seen my name in print in my local newspaper, Zimmerman Today.

But after not writing for most of 2012, I came to the realization I can't give this up.

It's who I am.

Writing for myself is not enough anymore. I need to publish and share what I have written with the world, whether I publish myself or go through an established publisher, like Staccato Publishing or Filbert Publishing.

I do have more than one area or genre I am interested in writing for and it's not I want to get rich and famous (although, my ego is currently imagining my interview with Oprah right now).

I want some credit, validation, some way of showing the world, "Here. I created this. This is for you." If it touches just one person, that will be enough for me. If I make a little money from doing what I love, it's just a bonus.

So, I will be working on my manuscripts (yes, I do have more than one), and will keep you updated with my progress here on my blog.

And if you have a chance to meet Craig (C.S. Yelle), or Heather, or want to find out more about them, check out their Facebook pages, purchase their books, read them and let them know what you think.

If you have a chance to take part in one of their book signings or another workshop they're a part of, I can promise you, you will not be disappointed!

Have a great Wednesday! I'm off to write.

No comments: