Friday, July 25, 2008

Randy Pausch, Thank You!



I'm sure you're wondering why I have the lovely family photo of Randy Pausch. I heard the news today, and I wanted to thank him.

Dr. Pausch passed away this morning. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2006, and wrote one of the most inspiring lectures I have ever heard. It's called "The Last Lecture", and the abridged version "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" (the version he did on Oprah). In April, the book "The Last Lecture" hit the bestseller list that was co-written with Jeffrey Zaslow.

Dr. Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University and the lecture was written more for his children than for his students, and it has inspired millions.

I've written about Dr. Pausch before, if you scroll through the archives here, you will see I was truly inspired by his positive attitude despite his terminal diagnosis.

My condolences to his family, especially his wife and children. But many thanks to him for showing all of us that it's not important the manner in which you pass from this life. It's what you do with your life when you're here that matters.

Go acheive your childhood dreams. Live the life you dream of, because you never know when it may be gone.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Like you, I also viewed his "Last Lecture" and he was truly a very inspirational person. Wish I'd been lucky enough to have had him as a professor though. But his words, his legacy, though intended primarily for his family, are such that all of us would do well to try to follow his lead.

Also -that's some good news about your son -and your other news too there "Grandma!"
Peace!

Laura M. Crawford said...

Awww, thanks Jeni!

Yes, I was both sad and relieved that Dr. Pausch passed away. I hope he was without pain and finally at peace. He was originally given 3 to 6 months at the time of diagnosis, and that was in 2006!! That's astounding in the medical community with pancreatic cancer to live nearly 2 years longer.

I think God gave him that time to spend with his family, and for him to give his "Last Lecture" for the rest of us.

Yeah, I think being a "grandma" is going to be really cool!

Have a great weekend!

Laura :)

Cheryl said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't wait to read your review of Choices Meant for Kings as well.

I am going to check your books out