Friday, November 05, 2010

NaNoWriMo: Day 3 & 4

Total word count for the past 2 days: 0 (zero)

Now, let's talk about this. I know I promised I was going to write 2,000 words a day or more. So far, I have met or exceeded that goal. Now I have two days with no words written on my novel. I'm ok with that.

Part of being in this writing challenge is to know when you need a break, not a long one, but a short one. I have a job, a family, a house to clean, laundry to do, and a voice in my head that begins to wear on my nerves when I am not taking care of these things. The voice turns louder and becomes many voices and nags at me until I DO SOMETHING about the situation or the laundry or makes dinner, or in my case, makes cookies. I also had to give myself time to work things out in my plot.

I know, it sounds like I'm copping out or making excuses for procrastinating, but the truth of it is, I usually get a little worn around the edges when I start out with such a lofty goal and hit it really hard right out of the gate. I did need a break. I was pooped. And since I am working a full time job while I'm doing this, I have to make sure nothing is slipping in my performance at work. 

If you are concerned for my mental well being, I appreciate and acknowledge your concern. Thank you. But I am on medication and I'm fine, voices and all. I also have had a long "conversation" with my characters in my novel and they are promising to make things interesting for this novel challenge. This one might be published. Who knows? You never know until you write it. And that's a more important lesson for any writer out there. If you don't write it out, you won't know if it works or not. Even if it doesn't work, you didn't lose anything at all because you learn so much from going through the process of writing.

Now, I'm going to take a shower, relax and go to bed. And then I'm going to wake up to another beautiful day tomorrow (I hope), and will write my butt off.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Sandy Lender said...

I totally and completely recommend 3 milligrams of Melatonin (sold in the vitamin aisle at Wal-mart) before bed to enhance dreams. If you write down a question for your characters before you go to sleep, take the melatonin, and pass out with the question in mind, you'll be surprised by the answer(s) in your dreams.

Of course, make sure your dr is cool with you taking melatonin with the other meds you have. I don't think it interacts with things, but...you know...safety first!

I'm currently in a holding pattern at 2,500 words because I fell asleep on the plane last night instead of typing. Rar. So I hope to get some story out of my brain and in the NaNo file tonight after work, which I need to get back to right now! Break's over!

Smooches, Baby!
From Sandy Lender
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."