Monday, March 03, 2008

Sad News at the Polebarn: Jeff Healey died this weekend


Jeff Healey was a unique musician. Blind, he played guitar on his lap and sang with a bluesy voice that was unforgettable. I was shocked this morning when I saw the news that he died yesterday at the age of 41 from cancer. To read more, click here:
I bought the album, "See the Light" (pictured above), when I first saw him in a video for "Confidence Man", one of the songs on the album, and then when I listened to it, I fell in love with his song, "Angel Eyes", along with everyone else.
It was inspiring to see him play. QH and I had that privilege a few years ago when we went to the Bayfront Bluesfest in Duluth, Minnesota. It was the last Bluesfest we went to, and Jeff Healey was the final act that Sunday. We stayed until he played "Angel Eyes" and I cried, finally being able to hear him sing it in person and to share that moment with QH, the love of my life, my own "Angel Eyes." I had hoped to see him perform again, but it never happened.
My condolences to his wife and two children, his band mates, and his fans.
May he be at peace. We'll all miss you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a sad turn of events. I was saddened when I read the news last night.

Sandy Lender said...

Laura,
This is a shame. I've got special memories around their song Angel Eyes that I'll have to have Nigel blog about in my "Repressed Childhood Memories" section of his blog because it's just so sentimental and sappy. It's a shame to hear that the gentleman who penned such a sweet, lovely lyric has been taken from his family and friends...and won't be making such pretty music for us to enjoy here anymore.

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Laura M. Crawford said...

Thanks, Karen and Sandy. I was really depressed about it, until I started thinking he must have been in some incredible pain, and now that's over for him and his family, but what a legacy he leaves behind! My cousin was an extra on the movie "Roadhouse" he was in with Patrick Swayze and Sam Elliot, and he said Jeff Healey was the most kind, funny, down to earth guy and he became fast friends with everyone he came into contact with.

Seeing him perform was so wonderful, and I'm glad we had that opportunity. I will cherish that memory always.