Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Happy Birthday, Alex! (And Happy Cinco de Mayo, too!)

Twenty years ago today, I held a small little baby boy in my arms for the first time. It was 3:20 am at Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, and I was 19 years old and scared out of my wits.

The one thing that kept me from losing my mind was the faith that everything would work out, that somehow, someway, I would be able to raise a healthy child and raise him to be a successful and productive adult.

Everything did work out, and he is a wonderful person, pursuing his life on his terms.

Of course, I can't take all the credit. I did all I could to surround him with people who loved him, cared about him, and wanted the best for him. My parents, my brother and sister and their spouses and children, and of course, QH, who has been a wonderful father when his biological father made the decision not to participate in his life.

I may not agree with Hillary Clinton's politics or policies, but I do agree with her on one point: It takes a village to raise a child, especially now.

This birthday is a little strange and a little heartwrenching. This is the first birthday my son has had to celebrate without me. I know it may not be a huge deal to some people, but it is to me.

I can't send him a cake, or hug him or throw him a party. He's on an aircraft carrier in Virginia, serving his country in the United States Navy. Mail takes about 2 weeks to get to him, no matter what, and with the security measures in place what is sent is put through a ton of inspections. I don't think a cake would survive unless it was a pound cake! If anyone has any tips, I would like to know how to send stuff to those in the service that would hold up and survive security inspections! Please leave a comment here or email me at alsmom27@yahoo.com.

And then Mother's Day is this weekend too, so I'm trying to keep busy through the next few days, and shedding a few tears here and there, but I'll be fine. I have to be, I'm Alex's Mom, after all. And this situation is just temporary.

And to all of you, may you have a Happy Cinco de Mayo also! When Alex was born, I had no idea he was born on a holiday, and I think it's kind of cool.

And who knows, we may be able to spend his birthday together next year, maybe in Florida, on vacation as a family again.

I have faith everything will work out.

3 comments:

Sandy Lender said...

Hey...send happy birthday wishes to Alex for me! I've sent packages to servicemen in Iraq. It's easier than you think. I'll e you some details.

And I'll be NOT drinking anything dangerous or containing worms (which translates to dangerous in my book) this holiday. Eegads. Yes, a safe Cinco de Mayo is in my plans.

Do you know what you call cheese that isn't yours?

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Laura M. Crawford said...

ROFLMAO!!

NACHO CHEESE!! Yes, I will tell Alex you wish him a Happy Birthday, and while I have been tempted, I didn't consume any beverages with worms or anything fun like that to celebrate this holiday/my only child's birthday. Sigh. Maybe next year.

As for sending him stuff, I will check it out and ask him what is ok or not okay to send, and send him a great big box o' stuff for him and his shipmates.

Thanks for posting, Sandy!

Laura ;)

Kim Smith said...

Happy Mother's day! Hope the muse is kind to you!