Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bitter Cold, a Missed Meeting, Diablo Cody, and the King

Brrr! Baby, it's cold outside! Yes, that is the understatement of the Universe right at the moment, but hey, I'm amped up with too much coffee, a great book idea, and wisdom on writing from the King himself, Stephen King.

Today was the day I was supposed to meet Beth Ann Erickson, my mentor, my Obi Wan, but it was much too cold, and I am a big chicken when it comes to bitter cold temperatures. I was also not very awake when she called, even though it was after 1:00 pm. I had just gotten up at 11:30 am., and I was still kind of groggy. I was up late the night before working on a book idea, a seed planted by Beth during our phone conversation on Wednesday, which got my little wheels a turning. Write, write, write, as fast as you can! So, I did. We'll see where it ends up.

I've been especially inspired by re-reading "On Writing" by Stephen King. It's amazing how much I missed the first time I read it, or rather, how much rings true to me now that didn't before. If anyone reading my little blog has any aspirations to become a writer, this book MUST be in your personal library. It has spurred me on to continue striving for my dream of being a published, successful writer. Successful being not in just making money, or becoming famous, but being able to write for a living and change the lives of my readers, even if there is only one.

I have also been inspired by a local girl, Diablo Cody, who is all the buzz right now for a little film called "Juno". She is originally from Illinois, but has also resided in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She is a published author as well, for a book she wrote called "Candy Girl" that documents her life as an exotic dancer here in the Twin Cities. She also blogged for City Pages.

She's wry, sassy, funny, and most importantly, honest, to the point of being brutal. But she also shows a side that is beautiful, innocent and delicate at the same time. For all of her brashness, she has a good heart and a good soul, and you just need to look into her eyes to see it. Plus, she got her name from a song on the Arcadia album, called "El Diablo", and Cody is from Cody, Wyoming, which is super cool, and she's also a Gemini. She also has a "keen fashion sense", to quote Buffy from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," a film that still cracks me up.

I've been following her road to Hollyweird for the last few months, mostly out of curiosity to see what "it" is about her that is so fascinating. For those of you who are curious, check out her blog on MySpace.com, but be warned, she doesn't hold ANYTHING back!

This Wednesday, she appeared on Oprah, with Jennifer Garner and Ellen Page who both star in the film, and Oprah said she was "Fresh! Just so...Fresh!" and she also predicted that there was an Oscar in her future with this little film making the big buzz. Does anyone remember when she predicted the same for Jennifer Hudson of "Dream Girls?" Poor Diablo looked lost for words!

I haven't seen the film yet, but I want to as soon as I can (when the weather goes above zero!) When that happens, I will give you all a full review, ok?

In the meantime, I need to get back to work. Stay warm!

No comments: