Saturday, February 28, 2009

March is Here, and "We Make Our Own Luck!!"


Whew! February is over, and I am celebrating!!


It is now March, one of my favorite months, because of St. Patrick's Day, but also because it is the month I discovered something wonderful.


Want to know what it is?


I'll tell you in a minute.


The quote of this post I have to give credit to my cousin, Nick Kerzmann, Jr., who came up with this motto for his new trucking company called "Thrive Trucking". Great name, hunh? Also a great motto, which shows me that Nick will do whatever he has to do to take care of his family.


Nick originally ran a heating and air conditioning business, but with the current economy, he had to find a way to pay the bills. So, he hit the road and began trucking. It hasn't been easy for him and his family, I'm sure, but then he started his own business again, and here he is out there doing what he has to do.


He is truly an inspiration. I like stories of the underdogs winning despite the odds. I like it when people find a creative way to make a living, recession/depression be damned. I'm hoping to be one of them soon.


It's been shown in a recent study that luck has more to do with attitude than it does with fate. If you feel lucky, and you are in a positive frame of mind, then most of the time you will come upon opportunities the pessimists will miss.


For example, in a recent study, they put two people in the exact same scenario. They put money on the ground, and a "millionaire" in the restaurant and observed what happened. The positive person found the money right away, and went into the restaurant and sat next to the "millionaire" and began a conversation. During that conversation, an opportunity for a job position was presented to the positive person and an exchange of numbers and information was made.


The pessimist, missed the money, sat next to the millionaire, and didn't speak a word. Why? They were too wrapped up in how bad and unlucky they were and felt and missed both opportunities.


Why do I bring this up?


I know the power of thought. I know that when you truly put your mind to something and don't let anything distract you, you can and do create miracles in your life. You find the people, opportunities, circumstances, and money that you need to accomplish what it is you want to accomplish.


I put this "secret" into action 14 years ago.


It was the month of March.


I wanted something to happen in my life.


I wanted someone to love and to love my son, and to find a person that would treat me like I wanted and deserved to be treated. Someone with my warped sense of humor, my taste in music (for the most part), who would get "goofy" with me and be there when the times were not so fun.


I asked for it.


I wrote all of it down.


I was SPECIFIC.


I then said, "If I'm meant to have someone, then please make it quick and if not, then please give me the grace and the strength to go through this life and raise my son to the best of my ability alone."


I SURRENDERED CONTROL. I didn't know if or how this would ever happen. I wanted it, but knew that if it didn't happen, I would still be okay. How it would happen was not my job.


A couple of weeks later, my friend Kathy told me there was someone I "had to meet" and I got goose bumps. My brain was telling me this was crazy, but my intuition was telling me, "This is it, silly!!"


He has been in my life ever since. I have grown to love and cherish and admire him with each passing year. If I win the lottery, or hit the best seller list, that is just icing on the cake. I have already been blessed, and I am grateful for all I have.


But most of all I am grateful he's here to share it with me.


Now, I'm working on that book contract, and a Harley.


I'm not worried about "how" it's going to get here.


After all...WE MAKE OUR OWN LUCK!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry but this American thing with St Patricks day..at least you did not call it St Paddys day *cringe* does not go down well with this reader. Why not March 31st for St David of Wales, Why not Nov 30th for St Andrew of Scotland. and of course the most important, April 23rd St George of England. I do sing one Irish of if forst 2 Irish songs. I do love the fun, but ask 100 Americans who St Patrick was and I bet 50% will not know. His emblom is the shamrock, and the fish, he got the snakes out of Ireland. But if people enjoy it, I just do to..I mean any excuse to have a drink.. I just think it's an overload in the US.. Still a great read thank you..I can now get down from my soap box lol

Sandy Lender said...

Hi, Darlin'!
I'm totally on board with the post. It's true: you have to make your dreams come true. There's no sittin' around waitin' for it. Go grab it.
Let me tell you something about March. I was SOOOOOO looking forward to having a full month without any doctor appointments. But that heart thing turned out to be something they want to look into and they're sending me to a cardiologist. Personally, I don't think I'm old enough to be going to a cardiologist. But I've decided they're just going to discover I have a wee bit too much stress in my life and all my heart troubles will settle right down once we solve some of that stress. Yay.
Now, let me say also that I'm sorry your friend Nick has had to start a job that has him away from home and family. But I applaud the tenacity. Dude! I had a girlfriend at church back in K.C. whose hubby was an over-the-road trucker and her son just LOVED trucks and LOVED his daddy's job. Whenever Dad was home, this little boy was gagga over seeing the truck and telling folks about it.
Enough rambling.
I hope you're doing tons of writing!
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

April said...

What a delightfully wonderful and inspirational post! I do believe in faith, but I whole-heartedly believe that positive thought goes a long way toward making positive things happen. You are so right in saying that a more pessimistic person is more likely to miss out on what they truly want, for the simple fact that they are too busy worrying and being down about things. I am going to pass this post along to a dear friend of mine who is going through a tough time right now. I think it will really help her.
By the way, I do enjoy St. Patrick's Day - mostly because I am Irish and it is fun to have that part of my heritage recognized! :)

Laura M. Crawford said...

April, I'm so touched you will forward this post to your friend. As a writer, that means the world to me.

Storyheart, I DO know who St. Patrick was, as I was raised Catholic and have an Irish heritage myself. I also know a few other saints that should have a day of celebration also, I mean, they did great things too, didn't they?

I don't celebrate it to "have an excuse to drink", in fact, I hardly drink at all, but I celebrate my ancestors who came here to this country after the Potato Famine and began a new life with what was left of their family. I cannot imagine coming by boat to Canada (that's where most of my family immigrated to), and then settling in North Dakota with a few things and the hope that things would be better here, including the promise of LAND!

The Irish are tenacious, stubborn and loving people, and that is what I celebrate and I am proud to have a bit of that in my own DNA. No problem getting on the soapbox, you will find me there from time to time. I can share! :)

Sandy, I'm so glad to hear from you and yes, I think the stress may be giving you a bad heart reading, but you've been through so much I'm not really surprised. Please take good care of yourself, and know we will be there in April to see you. :)

Thanks to all of you for commenting!

Laura :)